A Closer Look at Commercial Painting and Picking the Perfect Wall and Flooring Systems
While many of our commercial and industrial projects involve reconditioning or repurposing facilities, we also are often asked to help with new construction as well. In fact, we just finished a three-month-long painting and flooring project in Waltham, MA.
This building is a brand-new, 8‑story structure, and we were contracted to complete the painting and flooring needs before the first tenant took occupancy.
Any deadline-driven construction project in its final stages becomes a hectic environment, so we needed to utilize all of our skill and experience to work seamlessly alongside the other trades.
Communication and coordination are essential to success.
What Did Our Interior and Exterior Painting Involve?
Here’s a snapshot of the painting work we did, and our products of choice:
- Sheetrocked Walls and Ceilings — Sherwin Williams ProMar 200 Eggshell and ProMar 200 Flat. This paint is low-voc (little to no odor or fumes), and “eggshell” will provide a middle-ground, durable sheen for a busy space.
- HM Doors and Frames — We chose Sherwin Williams Pro Industrial DTM semi-gloss for these applications. It’s a rugged finish that adhered well to the metal surfaces while providing an attractive, glossy look.
- 8‑Story Stair Towers — This interior painting involved the same products as listed above.
- Exposed Concrete of the Parking Garage — Sherwin Williams Loxon Vertical Concrete Stain
Commercial Kitchen Flooring and Wall Systems
Choosing the Best Flooring and Wall Systems for a Commercial Kitchen
The concrete floor in this kitchen space, like many commercial environments, called for a durable, low-maintenance system that spans the gap between “function” and “appearance.”
We chose PDur-A-Flex Poly-Crete, Urethane Cement System with a Colorfast topcoat. Its durability and resistance to thermal shock are paramount in a commercial kitchen. Be sure to take a closer look at the product details, but to hold you over, here’s a quick overview of the benefits.
- Environmentally-friendly and zero-VOC
- Slip-resistant surface
- Able to handle thermal shock (hot water wash)
- Chemical and stain-resistant
- Rapid “Return to Service” performance
Our client also wanted a low-maintenance, high-performance wall system. This ruled out the standard FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) option that often contain seams where moisture can become trapped. This leads to an unsightly, unsanitary surface, and makes the growth of mold a real threat.
As an alternative, we applied a General Polymers Saniglaze High-Build Wall System. This multilayer system offers an industrial level of protection, while also making the growth of mold and mildew impossible. It also is both washable and durable, making it ideal for commercial kitchens.
How Did the Project Turn Out?
In short, it ended right on time, as promised. It was our pleasure to help prepare this brand new building for use, and for its first tenant.
If you have any questions for us at Kaloutas about your property painting, flooring, and maintenance goals, why not contact us today?
Kaloutas is New England’s premier contractor for commercial & industrial painting, flooring, and related services. Established in 1987, Kaloutas has become a trusted resource for general contractors, facilities managers, and building owners from Connecticut to Maine. Our team prides itself on high quality workmanship, jobs done on time & budget, and tackling complex projects that other contractors don’t have the experience or resources to handle. Contact us today for a painting or flooring estimate, or give us a call at 978−532−1414 to learn more.