Transforming and Sealing Exterior Brick in Chestnut Hill, MA
During the fall season our commercial and industrial clients not only begin planning interior painting and maintenance projects, but also turn an eye to the exterior as well. As we’ve mentioned before, we can paint into the colder months thanks to the availability of more advanced paint formulas that cure beautifully in lower temperatures.
Exterior painting is also an ideal way to protect your property’s surfaces before the elevated moisture and extra strain of winter weather sets in. In fact, paint is a first line of defense, and often will protect your investments from the intrusion of moisture and subsequent corrosion and decay.
As a real-life example of this, join us for a quick tour of an exterior painting project we just wrapped up in Chestnut Hill, MA.
What to Know About Brick Painting
Two Phases, One Goal — Painting Exterior Brick with Double Deadlines
There were multiple issues working against these exterior surfaces when we first were contacted:
- Problem #1 — There was actually interior water damage because of water creeping its way through the masonry substrate.
- Problem #2 — The existing masonry coating had completely failed, and was just as unsightly as it was ineffective.
- Problem #3 — The steel window frames were rusted.
- Problem #4 — Potentially beautiful exterior mahogany was badly in need of refinishing.
- Problem #5- A metal corrugated canopy also needed to be prepped and painted.
- Problem #6 — Exposed joints and masonry voids needed to be caulked and painted around the doors and windows in particular.
Our client’s goal was to not only completely transform and refresh the compromised exterior surfaces, but also to restore that crucial protection we touched on above. And, with winter coming, time was of the essence.
The work was completed in two specific phases, with two deadlines in mind:
- First, an event was scheduled that served as the deadline for all of the work below the midpoint of the building.
- A new roof was also scheduled for installation, and that served as our second deadline for work above the midpoint.
What Products Did We Use for Painting Exterior Masonry?
Masonry is a unique surface to paint, and effective sealing and coating requires specialized products for the best results.
- Primer — The essential basecoat was provided by Loxon Block Surfacer. In addition to creating superior adhesion for the topcoat, it also efficiently seals and fills the pores and tiny gaps in the mortar.
- Topcoat — Loxon XP Waterproofing System is a high-build coating that applies smoothly and cures quickly. It also is highly alkali and efflorescence resistant, and provides a flexible, durable finish that will shield against wind-driven rain.
What Products Did We Use for the Corrugated Steel and Mahogany?
To bring new life (and protection) to the mahogany surfaces, we used Old Master Exterior Oil-Based Spar-Marine Varnish.
How Did It All Turn Out?
At the end of the day we successfully created a functional, aesthetically-pleasing exterior that will work beautifully for our client’s needs. And, both phases of the project were finished on-time, as requested.
Can we answer your commercial or industrial painting questions? Contact us at Kaloutas today and let’s discuss your maintenance needs and strategy.
Other Services Kaloutas Customers Are Searching for Include:
- exterior painting contractors central massachusetts
- concrete floors safety
- massachusetts painting contractors
- industrial flooring contractors
- exterior painting contractors worcester ma
- painting contractors central massachusetts
- interior painting contractors central massachusetts
- exterior industrial painter
- ipswich industrial flooring
- urethane mortar flooring contractors
Kaloutas is New England’s premier contractor for commercial & industrial painting, flooring, and related services. Established in 1987, Kaloutas has become a trusted resource for general contractors, facilities managers, and building owners from Connecticut to Maine. Our team prides itself on high quality workmanship, jobs done on time & budget, and tackling complex projects that other contractors don’t have the experience or resources to handle. Contact us today for a painting or flooring estimate, or give us a call at 978−532−1414 to learn more.