Beat the Signs of a New England Climate with Facility Maintenance
While our famous New England winters can be charming if you’re spending an afternoon on the slopes or the seat of a snowmobile, they’re much less appealing during routine life and work.
Winter weather conditions pose a real threat in numerous ways, and especially when it comes to the health of your facility’s surfaces. Salt fog along more coastal areas, elevated moisture, snow, ice, and the intrusion of salt and sand tracked indoors all take their toll.
This might sound like an uphill battle, and it really is in many ways. On the other side of the coin, however, if you have the right knowledge and working partnership with a facility maintenance professional, you can create a vital level of protection for your assets.
The Power of Preventive Facility Maintenance
Every maintenance strategy looks a little different, but they are all founded on the same principle: proactive care. If you wait until decay and damage set in, or ignore troubling symptoms for too long, the corrective measures becomes much more drastic by necessity.
Consistent, preventive care will protect your maintenance budget in the long-run and create priceless peace of mind.
Common Signs That Your Paint or Coating Needs Attention This Winter (and Year Round!)
What are those early signs we mentioned that should never be ignored? Here are a few common ones to watch out for:
- Moisture Intrusion — This can be an indicator that exterior coatings, masonry sealers, or moisture mitigation systems (for flooring) need to be considered. Staining, delamination, and bubbling are just a few symptoms to be wary of.
- Rust — Swift, effective corrosion control is essential, especially for exterior surfaces and high-humidity interior environments. This is an ideal springtime project, but can be completed year-round with the right products and weather conditions.
- Failed Coatings — In this case, media blasting may be required to bring your surface back to a healthy, receptive condition before new paint or coatings can be applied.
- Buildup of Dirt and Debris — Whether in the structure of your ceiling deck or across sensitive equipment, the right cleaning regimen will yield tangible, positive results. And, your maintenance professional will have the right tools and technique for each surface.
- Missing or Worn Safety Features — From line striping to painting pipes according to OSHA requirements, industrial painting facilitates safety, efficiency, and code-compliance as well.
Can Exterior Painting and Rust Remediation Be Performed During the Winter?
Paint and coating formulas have enjoyed huge advances in recent years, allowing many to be successfully applied even in frigid temperatures. For example, the coating we used in this particular project can be successfully used in temperatures as low as 20°F.
This has opened the doors to more exterior winter work, allowing us to confidently protect your surfaces even before the spring thaw rolls around again. With that said, we do proceed cautiously, ensuring that the conditions are what they need to be for a successful project.
What Does An Ongoing Facility Maintenance Plan Include?
This largely depends on your specific needs and property. Here at Kaloutas, for example, we believe in customizing your plan to best meet your requirements, goals, and budget. It’s not a one-size-fits-all scenario.
In a more general sense, however, preventative facility care often includes:
- Routine paint and coating inspections, ensuring yours are performing as they should and are in good condition
- Performing repairs and touchups as needed before points of concern have a chance to grow
- Industrial cleaning
- Concrete inspection and system recommendations
- Scheduling flexibility, adapting to your needs
Choose Your Painting and Flooring Maintenance Partner Carefully
We use the word “partner” very purposefully.
It’s essential that you choose an experienced painting and flooring professional who has the skill, staff, equipment, and capability to handle projects of any size, and adapt to your scheduling parameters.
If your facility is in New England, we encourage you to contact us at Kaloutas. It would be our pleasure to answer your questions and discuss the best strategy for your property.
Other Services Kaloutas Customers Are Searching for Include:
- exterior painting contractors central massachusetts
- concrete floors safety
- massachusetts painting contractors
- industrial flooring contractors
- exterior painting contractors worcester ma
- painting contractors central massachusetts
- interior painting contractors central massachusetts
- exterior industrial painter
- ipswich industrial flooring
- urethane mortar flooring contractors
Kaloutas is New England’s premier contractor for commercial & industrial painting, flooring, and related services. Established in 1987, Kaloutas has become a trusted resource for general contractors, facilities managers, and building owners from Connecticut to Maine. Our team prides itself on high quality workmanship, jobs done on time & budget, and tackling complex projects that other contractors don’t have the experience or resources to handle. Contact us today for a painting or flooring estimate, or give us a call at 978−532−1414 to learn more.